Natural Dog Training Forum  

Go Back   Natural Dog Training Forum > Natural Dog Blog Articles > Discuss the Natural Dog Blog Articles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Neil Sattin Interviews Kevin Behan

Please use this thread to discuss the blog post:

Neil Sattin Interviews Kevin Behan

I hope you enjoy the interview! More cool interviews to come...
Old 04-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Neil, Thank you for that fantastic interview! I registered for the Rowe seminar, and I am planning to bring my dog, Happy. The audio file was just the boost I needed to make the commitment to learn more in person.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 AM

Fantastic interview I found it really interesting and helpful. Many thanks

Chris
Zeke & Ty http://www.airchartertaupo.co.nz/bearzeke/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Default can't wait to hear the Kevin Behan interview

How great is this! I'll post after I get a chance to listen. Thanks so much for doing this!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Well I've listened to the interview 1 1/2 times..... I have been thinking about going to Rowe but logistics... and money keep getting in the way. I have a friend going to Rowe with her pug-husky pupper, and she's been trying to convince me.
But I'm not sure how much I want Minky to reveal about what a screwed up person I am, ha, ha, ha .... needy, hyper-competitive, all that.

Might just stay home - and read Kevin's book when it comes out.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM

Being imperfect is not a good reason not to go I suppose I might be considered extra-screwed up, if it is never about the dog and always about the owner, my dog is only aggressive to his own family. He goes into jumping and biting tantrums when I suggest that it is time to change activities, and leaves me with bruises up and down my arms, and this is an issue I seem to be completely incompetent to handle (or understand, for if I truly understood it I suppose I could handle it).
Old 04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
my dog is only aggressive to his own family. He goes into jumping and biting tantrums when I suggest that it is time to change activities
Maybe this will help. Instead of looking at it as your dog only being aggressive to his own family, think of it more in terms that it is with his family that he feels safe enough to express his energy.

What makes relationships like the ones we have with our spouses or our siblings so special and unique, is the fact that we can feel safe enough to show who we really are. Why do siblings fight the way they do when they're kids? Because they know the other will always be there. Why do our spouses at times cause us so much frustration and at times we get into such conflict with them? Because we know each other so well, that it brings to the surface all our old hidden fears and unresolved emotions from our pasts. Dogs do this for us every day, because they can't not do it.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense on some level.

I really think you're going to get a lot from going to Rowe and spending time with Kevin. I had read his book a number of times, and had been getting advice from Neil and Lee directly for a while before spending time with Kevin. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of Kevin's philosophy. Then I spent time with him and realized just how much I didn't know. I know you're going to love it
Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Thank you so much, Sang. Success stories and encouragement help me to regroup. I hope I can look back on these times someday and have some experience to offer - for a time I was really confident that things were going well, my confidence is a bit shaken at the moment.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 AM

You're welcome Heather. And trust me, you'll always have self doubt and moments where your confidence gets shaken. I have those moments all the time. I've become much more comfortable with the idea that I don't have to know everything or be 100% certain in what I'm doing. I just have to be comfortable with who I am and where I am today, and that is enough. Mistakes are made, and then lessons are learned along the way. It's a journey, and we have to fumble our way through it, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a journey. And the great thing about dogs, is they always forgive us and love us no matter how many times we stumble. How many people can you say that about? That's why they're such great teachers.

Definitely feel free to lean on this group whenever you need. That's why we're all here. There are so many people out there who won't understand working this way, and because of that, we all need to support each other. It takes a village as they say
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 AM

And since this topic is about Neil interviewing Kevin, let me just add that I thought the interview was great, and can't wait to hear more discussions in the future. It's always enlightening