Natural Dog Training Forum  

Go Back   Natural Dog Training Forum > Natural Dog Training > Solving Problems Using Natural Dog Training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Default When to use a "flirt pole"

I read somewhere about using a flirt-pole for dogs seeking stimulation rather than over-coming resistance. Does anyone know more on this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM

I've used a flirt pole a couple of times, particularly when I first got my dog. What I found was that it was very stimulating for her. I also think that if your dog is reluctant to play with you in "close quarters" - i.e. playing tug with you when your hand is directly on the toy - then it is a great tool for overcoming your dogs' resistance to you. the only downside that I see of using a flirt pole is what to do when you're letting your dog win: I guess that if you have a fetch toy and have her drop that and then play with the flirt pole when she returns it could work out nicely.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default flirt pole

Hi Russell -

To answer your question better, would you mind explaining more what you mean by this?

Quote:
for dogs seeking stimulation rather than over-coming resistance
I agree with donnieo, but what works for me has been simply attaching a low-resistance tug toy (something floppy/squeaky) to a long rope or thin leash. So basically a flirt pole without the pole. It allows you to get that distance, do some fancy manipulations with the toy to arouse your dog's interest, and...ultimately...let go.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM

That's the bit I was hoping for help with... I read it in a post on here, but couldn't do the quote bit ...

It was in this one...
Very excited greetings
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 AM

Here a a few good reads about flirt poles I have run across they mention using them to increase or develop existing prey drive.

Playing with Prey Drive: The Key to Attitude and Enthusiasm in Performance Dogs - The Dog Athlete

http://www.elcajonschutzhundclub.com...arch%20Dog.pdf

They are also great to exercise in a small area without much sweat on the trainers part.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Excellent articles, many thanks